Campaign Messages & Press Coverage (open in new tab)
- My responses in the League of Women Voters of Newton 2021 Voter Guide (10/10/2021)
- NewTV Candidate Message, 10/10/2021
- NewTV Candidate Profile, 7/22/2021
- Campaign Announcement, Newton Patch, 1/28/2021
I was born in India, grew up in Kenya, and first came to the US as a college freshman. I earned my bachelor’s and master’s degrees in Industrial & Operations Engineering from the University of Michigan (Go Blue!) and moved to Newton in 1994 to start my first full-time job. Other than a break which included earning an MBA from the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College, I’ve lived in Newton ever since.
Over the past twenty-five years I’ve built a successful career as a consultant and business leader. I have led teams working on product innovation, vendor contracts, relationship management, crisis management, cost reduction, operations improvement, and strategic planning. I have a strong track record of managing multidisciplinary teams across diverse locations and cultures, with business experience in North America, Europe, Asia, and Africa.
My wife Urmila, my son Rohan, and I love being part of the Newton community. Our public schools are one of the best things about the city, and we’ve seen the hard work and dedication of our teachers and staff up close. Our son is a sophomore at Newton North and has been enrolled in NPS from the time he turned three and started at NECP.
I have been a committed and consistent supporter of Newton Public Schools through my leadership of Newton SEPAC and work on multiple NPS initiatives. I have served as:
- Co-Chair of the Newton Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SEPAC) for five years, supporting Newton’s special education families and advising both the School Committee and NPS administration on special education issues
- A member of the NPS Fall Planning Team, which worked on the plan to return to fully in-person learning in the fall
- A member of the NPS High School Working Group, which developed the successful plan for returning high school students to in-person learning in January 2021
- The parent representative on search committees for senior NPS administrators
- A member of the NPS Transition Taskforce, working to improve how NPS helps special education students prepare for life after high school
I’m confident that my background along with my personal and professional experience will help me to be an effective and successful School Committee member.
Clockwise from top left: Dressed up for the 2011 Franklin Elementary School Halloween party (Arrr!); At the 2019 Newton Diwali celebration; Running the 2020 Paddy’s Road Race virtually; Annual Christmas visit to Coletti-Magni Park in 2020; Ziggy in his playoffs bandana (Go Pats!)